This guide is for tenants and landlords in the private rented sector to help them understand their rights and responsibilities. It provides a checklist and more detailed information on each stage of the process, including:

  • what to look out for before renting
  • living in a rented home
  • what happens at the end of a tenancy
  • what to do if things go wrong

  click on the picture for the booklet 

If this all sounds confusing to you (which would be perfectly understandable), just realise that you need to hand over a ‘renting guide’ to your tenants’ at the beginning of a tenancy.

Here’s a quick copy and paste from the booklet from

” Requirement for landlord to provide prescribed information

  • (1) A landlord under an assured shorthold tenancy of a dwelling-house in England, or a person acting on behalf of such a landlord, must give the tenant under that tenancy the information mentioned in paragraph (2).
  • (2) The information is the version of the document entitled “How to rent: the checklist for
    renting in England”, as published by the Department for Communities and Local Government, that
    has effect for the time being.
  • (3) The information may be provided to the tenant—
    • (a) in hard copy; or
    • (b) where the tenant has notified the landlord, or a person acting on behalf of the landlord, of
      an e-mail address at which the tenant is content to accept service of notices and other
      documents given under or in connection with the tenancy, by e-mail.
  • (4) Paragraph (1) does not require a landlord, or person acting on behalf of the landlord, who has
    provided the tenant with the document mentioned in paragraph (2) to supply a further copy of the
    document each time a different version of that document is published during the tenancy.
  • (5) This regulation does not apply—
    • (a) where the landlord is a private registered provider of social housing; or
    • (b) where—
      • (i) the tenancy (“the new tenancy”) is a replacement tenancy;
      • (ii) the landlord, or a person acting on behalf of the landlord, provided the tenant with the document mentioned in paragraph (2) under an earlier tenancy; and
      • (iii) the version of the document provided to the tenant under the earlier tenancy is the same version as the version which is in effect on the first day of the new tenancy.
  • (6) In this regulation “replacement tenancy” has the same meaning as in section 21(7) of the Act.

where does the tenant fit all this paperwork ?

But what if i dont provide the tenant with a copy ?

Being part of the new Section 21 regulations means you won’t be able to repossess your property with a Section 21 notice without providing your tenant with the booklet. That’s serious s*** and a bit shocking to say the least!

Wanting to keep up with the ever changing rules and regulations sign up today here SIGNUP 

Leave all the hard work to us and take control of your FREE profile